Hyderabad Youth saves blood cancer patient

Rizwan showed exemplary compassion towards blood cancer patient and readily agreed for donating his stem cells.

Hyderabad Youth, encourages others to register as stem cell donors

Rizwan, hailing from Hyderabad recently donated his blood stem cells to save a patient suffering from blood cancer. He had registered as a potential blood stem cell donor in 2016 during a donor registration drive conducted in Hyderabad by DKMS BMST Foundation India. 

Narrating his experience, Rizwan says, “As human we must come forward to help each other, I feel happy that I was able to help save a life. When DKMS-BMST contacted me, I felt good that my life can be of use to someone in need. Blood stem cell donation is same as blood platelet donation, it was a simple process took approximately 4 hours to complete. As healthy individuals we should consider it as an opportunity to help those who aren’t fortunate to have a healthy life. I urge people to register themselves in large numbers so that we can all contribute towards saving lives of blood cancer and disorder patients through stem cell donation.”

Rizwan showed exemplary compassion towards blood cancer patient and readily agreed for donating his stem cells. At first , there was some resistance from the family, but ultimately Rizwan’s will prevailed, and he convinced his family about the good cause.

Today, over 3000 people from Andhra Pradesh have registered with DKMS-BMST stem cell registry and more than 70000 people from all over India. The foundation has also facilitated 70 blood stem cell transplants in the last three years across India.

Patrick Paul, CEO, DKMS BMST Foundation India, In India, we see nearly one lakh new cases of blood cancer and blood disorders annually. Despite this huge burden, the number of Indians that are registered in stem cell registries are significantly lower than many other countries. A stem cell transplant is likely to be successful only if the donor’s HLA type is a close match to that of the patient. Only about 30% of the patients can find a sibling match and the rest 70% hinge on finding a matching unrelated donor. There is a possibility of finding the perfect match from a donor of the same ethnicity. Unfortunately, patients of Indian ethnicity have a difficult time finding a matching donor due to lack of potential donors in Indian registries. Hence, there is an crucial need for youngsters like Rizwan to come forward and register as a potential donor.”

In India, the percentage of people who know about blood stem cell transplant as a lifesaving treatment modality is abysmal. When some needs a stem cell transplant, their odd of finding a match is more amongst people of similar ethnicity.

For Indian patients having a large donor registry comprising people of Indian registry will ensure that more people who can get benefit from this treatment modality can find genetic matches. According to World Marrow Donor Association, there are over 40 million donors registered across the globe and only 0.5 million of these are from India. India is an ancient population with a diverse ethnicity, therefor it becomes mandatory that more and more people from varied ethnic background to come forward to register as a stem cell donor.

About DKMS BMST Foundation India

A non-profit organization devoted to the fight against blood cancer and other blood disorders, such as thalassemia and aplastic anemia. Our aim is to refine the state of patients suffering from blood cancer and other blood disorders in India and throughout the world, by spreading awareness about blood stem cell transplantation and registering potential blood stem cell donors. By doing this DKMS-BMST gives patients in need of a blood stem cell transplant with a second chance at life.
DKMS-BMST is a joint venture of two reputed non-profit organizations: BMST (Bangalore Medical Services Trust) and DKMS, one of the biggest international blood stem cell donor centers in the world.
This article was shared with Prittle Prattle News as a Press Release.
Follow Us: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | YouTube | LinkedIn | Pinterest | Tumblr

Related Posts

1 of 851

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *