The University of Birmingham Dubai is now inviting applications for Masters in Urban Planning for January 2023 and September 2023 entry
This MSc Urban Planning program aims to train the next generation of urban planners, who will need to adopt a multi- and inter-disciplinary approach to address contemporary challenges and solve associated problems urban regions face.
The teaching is based on world-leading research undertaken at the School of Geography, Earth and Environmental Sciences at the University of Birmingham.
Dubai is the ideal place to study Urban Planning, given its proposed expansion under the Dubai 2040 Urban Masterplan.
The critical challenges of realizing such growth sustainably are explored in-depth in the program.
The University brings together planning, critical urban studies, environmental science and environmental health to create a program that addresses the major the challenge of rapidly expanding urban areas that confronts both now and the future.
The program will provide the necessary understanding, skills, and knowledge that planners in government, private enterprises, NGOs, and communities will need to provide innovative solutions to complex issues that impact a diverse range of stakeholders.
A wide range of teaching approaches will be utilized, such as lectures, seminars, practitioner talks, site visits, fieldwork, and studio work with an emphasis on teaching that engages with the ‘real world’ as much as possible, utilizing Dubai as an urban laboratory.
To enable this, assessments will be authentic and involve living case studies – this will enhance not only understanding and skills but also employability.
Course dates: January 2023 and September 2023.
- A bachelor's degree of three or four years in duration from a recognized university in India will be considered for the program
- Holders of bachelor's degrees in a relevant subject will be expected to have achieved 60% or higher. Applicants with 55% who have relevant work experience can be considered on a case-by-case basis, depending on the awarding institution
- IELTS: 6.0 overall with no less than 5.5 in any band. Application process and admission details: Applications for January 2023 and September 2023 is open, and there is no application fee.
Application Deadline: Mid-December for January 2023 intake
Tuition: Overall program tuition fee for January 2023 and September 2023 full
time-course is AED 112,666 (Approx. £26120).
For more details, please visit:
Planning Course Details Tab:
The following information will usually be needed before a decision can be made on an application:
- One academic reference (or if appropriate to the program applied for, it could be from the applicant’s employer)
- Academic transcript(s) for all prior degrees – originals or certified photocopies
- Personal Statement, approximately 5000 characters, explaining why you are interested in studying in your chosen program
- Certificate to show competency in the English language if English is not your first language, and you have already taken a test (not mandatory to submit at the time of application). Students can be considered for a waiver on a case- by-case basis.