Nocturnal Animals Not only is the elusive large cat a versatile and opportunistic predator, but it also attacks humans and street dogs.
Nocturnal Animals: Indian lions, are predominantly nocturnal.
- Asiatic Lion – Nocturnal Animals: Indian lions, are predominantly nocturnal. They are one of five large cat species present in India. The Asiatic animal is only seen in the Gir National Park in Gujarat, and the wild population of lions in India is believed to be 523 individuals.
- Indian Leopard – The Indian Leopard is India’s most solitary and nocturnal wild animal, a strong swimmer, and a tree climber. Not only is the elusive large cat a versatile and opportunistic predator, but it also attacks humans and street dogs.
- Sloth Bear – The Indian species of sloth bear, which is the most nocturnal of the bear species found in India, is categorized as vulnerable. The most common bear species in India is the back bear, also known as the labiated bear, which feeds on fruits, ants, and termites.
- Indian Wolf – Indian wolves are nocturnal animals subspecies of grey wolves found in the Indian Subcontinent. The wolf, which is structurally similar to other known wolves such as the European wolf but smaller in size, hunts antelopes from dark to morning.
- Striped Hyena – The Indian striped hyena is the giant striped hyena species among genuine hyenas, predominantly a scavenger like other species, and one of India’s most famous nocturnal animals. Striped hyenas are not territorial creatures; they can be observed roaming around in complete darkness and feed mainly on carcasses.
- Indian Hedgehog – The Indian hedgehog is one of three hedgehog species found in India, the other two being the Madras hedgehog and the long-eared hedgehog. The hedgehog is a tiny nocturnal mammal endemic to India’s Gujarat, Rajasthan, Andhra Pradesh, and Tamil Nadu.
- Honey Badger – The honey badger, or ratel, is the only Mellivora species present in the Indian Subcontinent, Africa, and Southwest Asia. Ratel, also known as Biju in India, is predominantly a carnivorous animal that feeds on beehives, frogs, lizards, rodents, and snakes.